You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome new members (introduction topic)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:34 pm

@Phorus1987 wrote:Thank you, I appreciate the support. Yes I am still trying new things on NGS2, the game has become part of my daily routine for the past 4 years or so. There are still challenges I would like to attempt, as a matter of fact I just uploaded one. I cannot believe I am still playing the game to be honest but it is a testament to the games quality and the servers still being open has kept me invested after all this time.

Oh I can understand that fully. Sigma 2 is a wonderful game (gets way too much hate I feel), have great memories of its co-op too. One of my first ever videos on Youtube was thanking the community for their help, tips and just general friendly-ness when I'd gotten the game's platinum. What you have with that game I have with Vanquish (hence the avatar). What is the challenge(s) you're still planning? If you want you can make a topic about them : )

[ryuhaya]

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

52 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:50 pm

Cryoshock

D-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:Wow, I blinked when I saw that we'd suddenly gotten two new members. Welcome!

@cryoshock
Outside of your lack of interest for platformers, we're pretty much kindred spirits! Been a while since I've seen some love for the old CnC, such great games. Which one's your favorite?

In terms of action games, great to hear you managed to get into it after Nioh. I think Souls and Nioh are pretty good games to get into the meat of things since they are so open in their design (builds and such), but they leave an itch only few games can scratch. Which one are you working on now? 
If you're ever up for a challenge run, make a post. We'll gladly go talk about it!

I'm gonna have to go with Kane's Wrath. I like Kane way too much not to have it up there, plus I'm a total pyromaniac, so the Black Hand faction is my jam (<3 Purifiers). And yours?

Oh, I loved Nioh to pieces. Played it for almost a year straight until I finally burned myself out on it. Ki has to be my favourite stamina system that I've seen. I'm on God of War II right now, just reached the last boss (I assume it is). What a solid game, man. In both setting and combat.

I definitely will post about any attempts, if only to make sure I stick to it at the risk of shaming for being a quitter. Razz

View user profile

53 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 am

@Royta/Raeng wrote:
@Phorus1987 wrote:Thank you, I appreciate the support. Yes I am still trying new things on NGS2, the game has become part of my daily routine for the past 4 years or so. There are still challenges I would like to attempt, as a matter of fact I just uploaded one. I cannot believe I am still playing the game to be honest but it is a testament to the games quality and the servers still being open has kept me invested after all this time.

Oh I can understand that fully. Sigma 2 is a wonderful game (gets way too much hate I feel), have great memories of its co-op too. One of my first ever videos on Youtube was thanking the community for their help, tips and just general friendly-ness when I'd gotten the game's platinum. What you have with that game I have with Vanquish (hence the avatar). What is the challenge(s) you're still planning? If you want you can make a topic about them : )

[ryuhaya]

I plan to do some tutorial videos to help newcomers to the series learn the fundamentals of the game. I have played with many players over the years and a lot of people who've cleared MN difficulty do not understand how to fight bosses properly.

As for the challenges I will attempt to kill greater fiends on MN difficulty by a very risky and intense challenge. I defeated Alexei yesterday morning, I feel Volf will be my next victim.

Sure, If you wish I can share my knowledge to help your NGS2 Enemy guide on here since the information is incomplete.

View user profile

54 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:36 am

@phorus1987
By all means, the guide I have here is an old remnant of info I collected nearly 5+ years ago so it's really dated. If you have anything to add and like to do see, write it down! Rules are in the Tactical Guide side of the board. In terms of guides I mostly followed M0aninR0nin's boss guides and Lance's general combat guide, found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOqK5towxN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Uerd58PZk (on the few videos that actually taught me OLUTS)
https://www.youtube.com/user/M0ANINR0NIN/

JTB's movement guide is also gold, though that's NGB (still relevant though).

@cryoshock 
Oh! God of War II is excellent, best in the series in my opinion, and one of the best in the genre. Good pick! Fun combat, great story and locations, entertaining powerups; just a blast to play! 

> CnC
I never played past the Tiberium Dawn, which I highly enjoyed. My favorite is hard to nail down. I think I enjoy Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge (and the original campaign) the most, but nothing gets my heart pumping like a classic Red Alert skirmish match ^^

> Nioh
Its stamina system is really great, though later-on stats kind of make it irrelevant. I kind of wish the original system was kept that they used in the Alpha Test, which was a lot better (and harder, which is why they probably changed it).

What challenge are you thinking of running :)?

55 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:20 pm

Cryoshock

D-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:
Oh! God of War II is excellent, best in the series in my opinion, and one of the best in the genre. Good pick! Fun combat, great story and locations, entertaining powerups; just a blast to play! 

> CnC
I never played past the Tiberium Dawn, which I highly enjoyed. My favorite is hard to nail down. I think I enjoy Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge (and the original campaign) the most, but nothing gets my heart pumping like a classic Red Alert skirmish match ^^

> Nioh
Its stamina system is really great, though later-on stats kind of make it irrelevant. I kind of wish the original system was kept that they used in the Alpha Test, which was a lot better (and harder, which is why they probably changed it).

What challenge are you thinking of running :)?

It was actually your GoW article that compelled me to pick them up when they were all on sale on the PSN store: I bought (almost) all of them, from 1-3 and the spinoffs. My only real gripe with the ones I've played so far (1 and 2) is the lack of options for dealing with large foes (e.g. cyclops); all you can really do is attack + dodge, rinse-repeat until you can grab. It's not that fun. The counter-attack window would be too generous for them, I think, but having some kind of grab as a counter with stricter timing could've been cool, I feel. Could also just be that I'm inexperienced at dealing with them, I'll admit.

C&C:
I haven't actually played RA2 or Tib. Dawn. I think they were both only on PC, whereas I've always been a console peasant. But oh, man, RA skirmishes were my jam at one point. Pick the smallest map -> set up three bots -> try to make it past the first few minutes of the match was one of my favourite things to do.

Nioh:
I don't remember much of the Alpha, admittedly. I was terrible at it, and not really in the mood for any gaming in general at the time, so I gave up after beating the first mission. I do think they should've kept the harsher penalty for running out of ki, tbh - felt like a much stronger incentive to avoid spam. I also think the looser camera could've been kept and worked on, considering the current state of the game, with certain enemies that just LOVE their projectiles (fuck you, magatsu).

Challenges:
I think the first thing I'll be attempting is a no-upgrade run of one of the GoW games. Probably a spin-off, since I expect them to be shorter. Beyond that, I'd just like to eventually play through the NG games on MN - That's WAY off, though.

View user profile

56 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:14 pm

Makes me really happy to hear my articles are getting people into the games I write about, mission accomplished! If you rush, you might've played more than me! I only played 1, 2 and 3. Getting Ascension soon.

> larger foes
They need a special hand. Enforcers (the giants with a ball for a hand) can be fought on the side of their other hand. They can't touch you that way. The Cyclopses beg for Medusa, with some smart spacing you can line them up and freeze them for an easy kill. Zeus's Lightning also eats them for breakfast. On PAIN runs (we'll get to that in the future, and on the GoW board;p) you'll probably end up doing plumes from afar.

> CnC
Never even considered a console version existed. Color me surprised! Does it control nice? I remember CNC1 being on the N64 and playing that, but that's it really.

> Nioh
I was terrible at the Alpha too haha, I think we all were. I really liked the original harsher punish for running out of Ki too, just felt better. Also liked that stats were just minor changes, not huge in impact like they are now.

> GoW NUR
If you can, do it with the first one. There are some really hard parts for sure, but if you NUR that game it is satisfying to no end and teaches you pretty much all the fundamentals for the other games, otherwise Ghost of Sparta or God of War 3 are good picks. The only downside is that you can't really 'win' unless you're planning on being one of the maybe 4 people in the known galaxy that can beat the final 'boss' (the clones) on NUR restrictions in GoW1. I did a No Upgrade Run for GoW1 and later a PAIN run to prepare for the article. It's really worth it imo :)

57 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Cryoshock

D-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:Makes me really happy to hear my articles are getting people into the games I write about, mission accomplished! If you rush, you might've played more than me! I only played 1, 2 and 3. Getting Ascension soon.

Yeah, your articles are what really put action games on my radar, proper.
Never bothered with the spin-offs? I just started Ghost of Sparta. Seems good so far; gonna start a thread on it in a bit since the spinoff forum is empty. As for Ascension, I saw it on sale on the PSN store, but took one look at the file size and decided no way. I wanted to go play the other ones first, anyway.

> larger foes
They need a special hand. Enforcers (the giants with a ball for a hand) can be fought on the side of their other hand. They can't touch you that way. The Cyclopses beg for Medusa, with some smart spacing you can line them up and freeze them for an easy kill. Zeus's Lightning also eats them for breakfast. On PAIN runs (we'll get to that in the future, and on the GoW board;p) you'll probably end up doing plumes from afar.

That explains my problem. I like to stick with the melee weapons in any action game as much as possible; something about using tools like magic almost feels like cheating sometimes, lol.

> CnC
Never even considered a console version existed. Color me surprised! Does it control nice? I remember CNC1 being on the N64 and playing that, but that's it really.

You can find CNC1 on the Sega Saturn as well. Red Alert was available on the PS1, CNC3 + KW are on the X360. They all control pretty smoothly. Obviously, they have nothing on a M + KB setup, but it's good enough.

> Nioh
I was terrible at the Alpha too haha, I think we all were. I really liked the original harsher punish for running out of Ki too, just felt better. Also liked that stats were just minor changes, not huge in impact like they are now.

Yeah, and to compensate for that, they had to make everything stupidly strong on the higher settings. :/

> GoW NUR
If you can, do it with the first one. There are some really hard parts for sure, but if you NUR that game it is satisfying to no end and teaches you pretty much all the fundamentals for the other games, otherwise Ghost of Sparta or God of War 3 are good picks. The only downside is that you can't really 'win' unless you're planning on being one of the maybe 4 people in the known galaxy that can beat the final 'boss' (the clones) on NUR restrictions in GoW1. I did a No Upgrade Run for GoW1 and later a PAIN run to prepare for the article. It's really worth it imo :)

It'll probably be either 1 or GoS, for sure. I'll definitely attempt to beat everything on an NUR, but PAIN? I don't think I'm enough of a masochist for that, but I also never thought I'd be eager to get into action game challenge runs, so who knows?

View user profile

58 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:30 am

Yeah, your articles are what really put action games on my radar, proper.

Great to hear man! Begs the question, how did you stumble upon the site? I hope I can inspire you (and others) to dive into more action titles and enjoy your time with them :)

I getcha when it comes to the magic. I originally had the same feeling, but it can feel really rewarding too to beast through a large area without any damage having killed hordes upon hordes of foes using magic smartly. Example of God of War 2, guy smartly uses his meter paired with the freeze, just look at how powerful that is:

In terms of PAIN, I personally never imagined doing it. But after beating NUR by the skin of my teeth I'd learned so much about the game I couldn't wait to put that knowledge to the test. Against all my better desires, I booted up the game immeidately after beating NUR. Seems a lot of people have that, wonder if you'll have it too ^^

Anyway, feel free to make a NUR topic when you go into it!

59 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Tue May 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Cryoshock

D-Rank
@Royta/Raeng wrote:
Great to hear man! Begs the question, how did you stumble upon the site? I hope I can inspire you (and others) to dive into more action titles and enjoy your time with them :)

I think it either came up on a google search when I went looking for Kagerasimaru's channel after a search history clear and the interview showed up in the results, or it was mentioned in a YT comment somewhere. As for more action titles, I definitely plan on playing through all the NG games I can currently access: NGS, NGS2, and NG3RE. Beyond that, I've already played through Yakuza 0 + Kiwami, and I plan on getting Kiwami 2 when it's released.

I getcha when it comes to the magic. I originally had the same feeling, but it can feel really rewarding too to beast through a large area without any damage having killed hordes upon hordes of foes using magic smartly. Example of God of War 2, guy smartly uses his meter paired with the freeze, just look at how powerful that is:

Oh, man, that clip is disgusting; now this is a guy who has never heard of square-square-triangle.
On magic, my tune is changing on it slightly. I've been trying out the magic on GoS and I admit that tactical usage makes it way more satisfying. Things like using Thera's Bane as a stunlock, or the orb to lock groups of enemies down is pretty cool. I'm just too used to thinking of magic as a panic/rage mash to get out sticky situations.

In terms of PAIN, I personally never imagined doing it. But after beating NUR by the skin of my teeth I'd learned so much about the game I couldn't wait to put that knowledge to the test. Against all my better desires, I booted up the game immeidately after beating NUR. Seems a lot of people have that, wonder if you'll have it too ^^

Anyway, feel free to make a NUR topic when you go into it!

I'm hoping that my first success will leave me wanting more, yeah.

View user profile

60 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Tue May 01, 2018 3:33 pm

Good show on the Ninja Gaiden titles. It really depends on what you want from an action game which one you'd like. Unlike most games they kind of reinvent the formula and playstyle per game. Ninja Gaiden 1 (Regular/Black/Sigma/Sigma Plus) is more a semi-open world (maybe a bit Metroid style) with keys and stuff with very slow and methodical combat with a focus on defence. Ninja Gaiden 2 (Regular/Sigma/Sigma Plus) is the opposite, lineair levels with very few distractions and combat highly focussed on you being as agressive as possible. The third game did this even more (even more agression, even more lineair). I personally prefer the originals (Black etc).

> Magic in GoW
It's great when you use it as you should: a tool with a purpose and a time to use and not use it. Magic, like Ninja Gaiden's Ninpo, tends to get the 'oh shit' treatment (as you note). You use it when you're cornered and don't trust your skills to see you through. Here it's more an extension of your moveset. And granted, that takes getting used to especially when find out just how powerful they are it can feel like you sort of broke the game in half, but there's a magic-meter for a reason.
God of War 3 has the best magic/tool system imo. Spells hit hard and have clear uses, while tools have their own meter now.

61 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Sat May 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Khayyaam

D-Rank
Hi! My name is Khayyaam. Elsewhere on the internet I go by Gaming_Mastery or just Mastery, though I've been lately trying to just go by Khayyaam. You can call me any of those.

I found this site when Royta liked one of my tweets about God Hand (which I am currently going through) and I started reading his twitter. I'm ecstatic to have found a place where I can just talk about good combat. I feel like it's under-appreciated at large despite the fact that games are still largely violence filled anyway.

I like all sorts of games. My favorite type of game is Metroidvania, my second favorite is RPGs. But I like every type of game. Even in genres I normally dislike (such as FPSes) there are games I really enjoy. I also really like any action game with a focus on melee combat, fighting games, and strategy games. As long as the gameplay is good and fun, I'm down. I also feel very strongly about unique experiences in games.

As far as the type of Action game we all enjoy here, I basically like DMC, anything by Clover and Platinum, and the classic God of War games.

Again, right now I'm going through God Hand (Currently just made it to Stage 5 normal mode, I really love it!). The control schheme is a little weird, but it works and I wouldn't have it any other way.

By the way, my favorite (non-nintendo) franchise is the Tales Of series of Action RPGs, and I want to know if anyone else has played them. Despite my loving the series so much, I find myself being unable to connect with other fans of the series due to it looking like yet another RPG so most people just get into it for the anime aesthetic and story and that's all they ever want to talk about. The reason *I* love the series is because of it's trademark Linear Motion Battle System, which makes it less of an RPG and more of a fighting game/beat 'em up, with all the arcadey elements that implies too. I'd like to meet at least one other person who can recognize the game's unique, thoughtfully designed action, or barring that, at least maybe get other fans of action and combat games to check it out. I can talk or write at length about that series, and just keep playing the games too (planning on marathoning at least 3 of the games this summer).

View user profile

62 Re: Welcome new members (introduction topic) on Sat May 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Welcome Khayyaam! My heart always races when I see a new name around these parts, good to see you here! Where exactly does the name come from? Mastery is obvious, but Khayyaam is pretty specific :)

Always glad to see another God Hand fan, I am noticing a lot more people these days that are discovering it. Maybe its recent PSN sale helped (getting a PS2 copy was...a challenge for me (and my wallet)). In terms of tastes we're pretty close to each other. What type of RPG's and Metroidvanias do you enjoy?

I have the EXACT same feeling as you with Tales. While I love the story and settings (most of the time (only really dove deep into Symphonia)), I never really connected a lot with the rest of the community. I went to a Tales of Shop in Japan when I was there, and it was only love-pillows of your favorite male character and underwear with Lloyd's face on it (granted, that's funny). STill, the combat engine (which is great) rarely gets a mention.

Again, great that you're here! Right now the new God of War is quite the hot topic, but we're also diving into whatever is going on or whatever little game we're playing. You're playing God Hand right now, so let us know how it's going! How you liking that 'level up system'?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum