You are not connected. Please login or register

Batman Arkham Series General Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 am

Birdman

The purpose of this topic is general Arkham series discussion.

Post anything, like changes, stuff you like/disliked per game etc. I'll make focused topics later.

View user profile

2 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 am

I generally am still disappointed about the lack of actual citizens. Arkham City did is sort of clever with its premise but in Knight it was pretty obvious they just wanted to avoid the whole situation by having the city 'evacuate completely' (sure...). I really just want to feel like I'm Batman in a city full of crime, now it just feels like this big empty space with nothing to really do.

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

3 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am

Birdman

Yakuza seems to pull that off pretty well.

View user profile

4 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:39 pm

True but there you walk among the streets, which Batman generally doesn't do. But to have an entire game about rooftops would also get pretty...boring haha.

5 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Birdman

Yeah thats a good point, that Batman never walked among civilians. Maybe we could switch to Bruce Wayne for that lol.

View user profile

6 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:05 pm

I would love that if on the rooftops you were Batman, and that you could explore the citystreets as either Bruce Wayne or his alter-ego Matches Malone. Hell to even see Matches Malone get the love and attention the persona needs would be amazing since he's never been seen in any media outside of comics.

Long story short, Matches was a criminal Bruce got killed by accident and only he knew. So he buried him and ended up dressing up as him to blend into the criminal underworld as Matches was quite the 'character'.

7 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:03 am

That would be pretty neato.

View user profile

8 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:06 am

Birdman

But the game would be less of an action game if it played like this wouldn't it. There would have to be a large portion of the game as Bruce/Matches. It would become more like the Yakuza games.

View user profile

9 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:02 am

The Bruce parts have been emulated by the tell tale batman game, not sure if other batman games have Bruce Wayne sections. Arkham city only has that brief Bruce Wayne intro part which isn't any different gameplay wise. I'm sure it could be pulled off somehow. Maybe Bruce sections would have dynamic dialogue options like alpha protocol and social stealth or something.

View user profile

10 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:22 am

Birdman

I wouldn't play it. I only want an action game.

View user profile

11 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:26 am

Batman RPG. With extra 'content'. ;)

I can see it happening, especially with modern design trends of gameplay/story integration. I'm fine with just batman.

View user profile

12 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 am

Birdman

One thing I did not like about the series as a whole was the boss fights. It wasn't too noticeable in City, but by the time I had gone through Origins, it was painfully noticeable.

What I mean is, they are mostly just predator encounters or scripted somehow. I was super disappointed to see that Deathstroke was largely similar to Ra's al Ghul in City, reusing some of the same animations. Two Face, Harley, and Deadshot were just glorified predator encounters. Some boss fights were ok. Everything in Asylum I consider fine as it was the first. That woman in Origins who could create multiple copies of herself was a good fight and the giant electricity guy was decent.

The system just isn't designed for 1v1 encounters though.

View user profile

13 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:57 am

Totally agree man. Sucks so bad as batman of all series needs great boss fights. It's an absolute waste of one of the best rogues galleries of anything ever. The games still have some unique and well designed bosses when they where actually being creative. I thought killer croc, scarecrow and mr.freeze are some of the more novel ones. City has the best bosses by far, they clearly learned from asylum.

Knight is the worst in this regard it doesn't even have any proper bosses it's all either predator mode or a fight against a big black boxer boss guy who is pretty much like any other large mob you face with extra goons helping out. Killer croc is also a similar fight in a Dlc. Arkham knight boss is just an actual predator encounter where he sits up high sniping at you which is so lame and lazy for what could have been the most interesting and well designed boss to end the series.

The combat makes up for its lack of nuance with 1-1 encounters with its variety through enemy numbers and gameplay types, that's its strength.

View user profile

14 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:18 am

Birdman

Yeah Mr. Freeze is great. Even though it's a predator encounter, nothing works twice on him and there are all kinds of options to deal with him. I love that fight.

View user profile

15 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:09 am

It got too formulaic by origin and Knight was really pushing it. Still a real solid series. What does bother me somewhat is that most AAA games and such follow the basic 'I can't believe its not arkham' combat to a tea. It's that or souls basic formula. Makes me appreciate unique action games more, its pretty much take your pick so I can't complain haha.

View user profile

16 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:12 pm

The combat in Arkham was great, though I wish there was a bit less emphasis on gadgets at times and that their use was a bit more .. well .. useful. For instance a batarang stuns or knocks down, but the gel also is a type of crowd control, and so is the electric shocker gun, and the explosives etc. It's all a bit the same in their usage. The only gadget that is an exception is the grapple which you can use to clear distances etc, which is excellent. I'd love to see a better balance here and have every move have a specific use. It doesn't need to be DMC or NG, I love the way the combat works now but some balancing is really needed.

Same with the special moves. Some offer you a single 'kill' while another can take out up to ten for the same price, and the stun is mainly just a point-builder.

EDIT: about bosses, it never works for Batman. He's too powerful for regular guys to take on one versus one in any scenario, even if you are Grundy or Clayface. I liked the Freeze and Red Hood fight the most. Origins had some really cool fights too such as the finale against Bane which was really fun and well done and same with Deathstroke which was a really fun fight to do. Origins is still my favorite out of the bunch.

17 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Birdman

Mine is Asylum now. It was City, but only because I rushed through Asylum years ago and wasnt very good at it. All the games have some great parts and fights though.

Agree about the gadgets. Outside of combat they're useful but in combat as you said, a lot do something similar and the only reason to use is for points though there is still a bit more to them.

This is another reason why I like Asylum more. There arent as many useless things and even some unique ones like the triple batclaw that never returned. Pummel was ok but not having it doesnt take away anything in Asylum.

I really like the special move 'throw' in which Batman picks up a guy and throws him (obviously) but you can choose the direction and launch him into other enemies. Im not 100% sure if you can be hit while holding them though. It's a special move so maybe not.

Really need to make a topic but Ive put the game on hold for others as is my disgusting habit.

View user profile

18 Re: Batman Arkham Series General Discussion on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:28 pm

I really miss his throw from Asylum too, great little move (and yeah you were fully invincible outside of hazards). The pummel from City and later is my favorite move though, it just looks so stylish and really feels like putting the beat down on any foe.

Origins is my favorite mostly because it handled the Batman origin very well, better than I ever expected it would. It showed his rage and anger at the start paired with the desire to be a lone wolf, and slowly shows him building relationships with the GCPD etc. It also had some really good gameplay moments like the infiltration of the GCPD which had an insane optional fight. Basically there was a room where guys were discussing to take down Batman. Your mission is to sneak past but you can try to fight them, it's about 20+ guys all with body armor and machine guns so unless you play perfect you are deader than dead - I always do the fight because it's just such a fun challenge.

About the gadgets, I love them in the stealth where they really add another layer. But stuff like the explosives really could've benefitted from a better usage. That said the power-gadgets from Knight (enhanced versions that drain combo-meter) are really fun and interesting. Interestingly enough Knight added a ranking system that barely worked, would've been interesting to see that expanded upon (though I believe the series is dead now, right?).

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum