Absolver

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Absolver on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:25 am

Birdman

I'm starting to get interested in this.

View user profile

2 Re: Absolver on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Birdman

Ok, I'm really liking this game. It reminds me of GH in a lot of ways.

It's not as free as GH in terms of combo customization, which isn't a bad thing since Absolver has it's own system. In GH you can throw together anything, but in Absolver you have stances. The videos probably explained all of this, but you have four stances. Each attack starts in a certain stance and ends in another. Some lead into the same stance.

So you can't freely chain any attack into any attack. It's not bad, but at times I wanted to do something and couldn't because I wanted to cycle back into a certain stance that has my combo starting moves that are fast, but I've only just started and there are many moves to unlock so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Why it reminds me of GH? You have a chain for each stance, and can put single moves on the triangle button. This layout it pretty much the same as GH though with the stance limitation I've already mentioned.

Some attacks have built in properties like avoid low, high, and attacks to your side. Some break guard or cause heavy stamina loss. There doesn't seem to be anything like moves that send you flying or trip you up. The sweep I got just has normal hit. Nowhere near as much hit state variety as GH.

There are multiple ways to dodge much like GH. You choose and overall style at the start, and each has it's own unique defensive tools.

I chose Windfall because it lets you duck, hop, and sidestep. This is done with the right stick. The other style has parrying, and I forgot the last one. I think it's like some sort of last second blocking that minimizes damage and if you hit back you get health back.

No matter what style you chose, you have to use the right defensive move to avoid attacks. This could get furious during PvP I bet.

I've got lots of quick attacks that go into low and high mixups. I don't care for the guard break attacks as they are slower. Haven't bothered with weapons either.

View user profile

3 Re: Absolver on Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:19 pm

I've been following the game for a while now but haven't dived in. Really enjoying my current games now and am starting to understand why 2d Sonic games can be fun. That said I will delve in at some point. Just the whole "online" aspect focus doesn't sit well with me. 

EDIT: Whoops didn't see your latest post

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

4 Re: Absolver on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Hit states are something interesting to discuss, that's integral to action games and doesn't get much talk.

View user profile

5 Re: Absolver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:24 am

Birdman

Wow, it's near impossible to fight more than one enemy. 1v1 is fine though.

There's no crowd control and the dodge move doesn't matter if more than one type of attack is being thrown at the same time. I've seen opponents using spinning kicks so maybe those will help.

edit: Just had a pvp match. It was awesome.

View user profile

6 Re: Absolver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:02 am

It looks cool but it's not for me.

View user profile

7 Re: Absolver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:02 am

Birdman

haha I just had another interesting match. This player had some moves that had armor and kept chewing through my attacks, though I soon got used to the animations and was able to avoid most of them. There's so many moves in this game that it's hard to dodge when you haven't seen them much.

I kept jabbing him out of his attacks. Really similar to GH again in that you want to have fast combo starters.

Hit states are something interesting to discuss, that's integral to action games and doesn't get much talk.

This is one of my favorite things to talk about.

View user profile

8 Re: Absolver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:27 am

It's so rare to see custom move sets in action games, we should do a topic for that.  

I've seen a boxing moveset, looks practical too since it's fast and you can use a punch move with a duck property.

Can you cancel moves? I've seen some sort of black shadow visuals on some moves I thought it might be a visual aid for something like cancels.

View user profile

9 Re: Absolver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:20 am

Birdman

The black shadow is called a feint. You can cancel a move before it fully starts and the shadow comes out.

I've been trying to make a kickboxing character and have jab and hook on my first stance which are two very fast attacks, then low kick on my alternative (triangle attacks). I often go jab, hook, low kick, and sometimes feint the low to get them thinking to block low, then I do something else.

The punch with duck you saw is the rolling uppercut. I have that as my starter move on one stance, but you can go into it from other stances.

The annoying thing is every move starts and finishes in a certain stance. I had this jumping knee that I wanted after the hook, but the hook ends in a different stance.

The stances themselves don't actually mean anything. They are just ways to have access to more moves. It's pretty much a sort of weapon switching.

View user profile

10 Re: Absolver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:40 am

The black shadow is called a feint. You can cancel a move before it fully starts and the shadow comes out.

That's such a smart use of cancels.

The annoying thing is every move starts and finishes in a certain stance. I had this jumping knee that I wanted after the hook, but the hook ends in a different stance.

Do you get stuck in stances? I seen characters facing back to the opponent, does that effect anything other than what moves you can do in that stance. So ideally you would want a move set that flows seamlessly into itself. Are certain moves usable in multiple stances?

It looks complex, really unique stuff.

View user profile

11 Re: Absolver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:10 am

Birdman

You can chance stance any time while locked on. You hold R2 and tap the right stick to select the stance.

Stances don't affect anything other than the moves you can do. You are just switching movesets. No matter the stance, blocking, dodging and moving is the same. Only the moves change to whatever you set in that stance.

Are certain moves usable in multiple stances?

No. Each stance has its own moves. In the customization menu, you can see which stance a move starts and ends in.

So ideally you would want a move set that flows seamlessly into itself.

I'm too sure about that. You don't really need you attacks to loop back to the starter if that's what you mean like what GH does.

I've based my build on what I do in real life which is Muay Thai. A standard setup we have is jabs into low kicks, so I'm just translating my thinking into the game. It's working out quite well in pvp but I've only fought a few people. No idea if they were really any good.

I did TKD for a bit so I'm going to have a build with these moves too. Stats are sort of like Souls, where each each stat will power up a certain move so I'm not sure what to do with my points at the moment.

Nothing is truly guaranteed in this game. Like you can get in hits, but your opponent could read your next attack. You aren't ever permanently locked in hit stun.

View user profile

12 Re: Absolver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:23 pm

Damn this all sounds really really sweet. Watched some interviews and gameplay and it all looks good (they all also mentioned that 2v1 is absolutely horrible). 

That said: how is the singleplayer? I heard it's sort of open world ala Dark Souls? Is it a long game? Short?

Let me know! I'm still a bit jetlagged so my comments are a bit...short haha.

13 Re: Absolver on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Birdman

Not sure on the single player. Yeah it's more like Dark Souls. Nothing too open and lots of paths. The goal seems to be to go through these areas and defeat the 'Marked Ones' which are basically bosses, then you can do...something. I don't actually know. I skipped the cutscenes.

The point of the game seems to be to just fight. That's it. PvP is super fun.

Last night I has another match where I did jab, hook, low and feinted the low making the guy parry low then I smacked him in the face.

View user profile

14 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:06 am

I love how cancels are feints, the shadow is a great visual cue for them too, super cool way to simulate competetive martial arts.

View user profile

15 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:46 am

Birdman

As much as I'm enjoying this, hold off on buying for a little. There are some bugs like your powers being deleted. Just had it happen to me. Sometimes the online is really bad too but it might just be the time of the day. Towards evening I get a perfect connection mostly.

I'm currently researching if there is a fix for this power deletion. Will report back once I get some answers.

View user profile

16 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:18 am

I'm not getting it, gameplay is really cool but a bit odd for my taste. Plus I don't care for online stuff, not paying Sony to play online that's piss. I only play single or coop(preferably couch).

View user profile

17 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:33 am

Birdman

What aren't you getting?

The pvp is great. Single player isn't worth it. The enemies are dumb so you'll never see the game's full potential.

It's on PC too. Not sure if they charge for online though. I don't think they do.

View user profile

18 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:41 am

I meant not buying it. Pc is usually free online.

View user profile

19 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:50 am

Birdman

What are you finding odd?

View user profile

20 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:07 am

Just how the combat looks, can't quite place it but it's the general gameplay it's aesthetic and speed that I don't think fits me. It's a preference thing I guess I like more stylalised and flamboyant speedy action games like god hand and ninja gaiden. Same as for honour it's too grounded and the general combat,speed and aesthetic don't interest me. Its me not the game so I'm glad that other approaches to action game design is around, not everything needs crazy juggles like dmc and spastic spin flips like ninja gaiden haha.

View user profile

21 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 am

I'm not that interested in the multiplayer, I've generally found it makes me more annoyed than happy haha. Shame the single player isn't up to the task but then again it is focusing on the multiplayer aspect. I'm going to skip it for now.

Can you maybe share some PvP vids? You can easily record those with the Share function on PSN. Would love to see it!

22 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 am

Birdman

If I have a good match I will. I'm still pretty awful and there are always moves I've never seen and not sure how to dodge them. I also don't have all the moves I want of the build I'm thinking.

Also that bug I mentioned about the powers disappearing is an actual thing. They're gone forever it seems and now I don't want to play until it's fixed.

Honestly the multiplayer is fun though. AI is too stupid and can never match a real player. There's so many options the AI can never use.

View user profile

23 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:52 am

For honour is a similar multiplayer focused game that has a good single player; you can change the ai skill level and it acts as a competent opponent and decent training for online.

Also yeh the whole online thing I have no interest in, i don't like fighting humans as they too dynamic. I prefer PvE since the ai is more predictable, can't rage quit or can't feel any real satisfaction from my defeat haha.
It's really more of a fighting game like for honour with it's combat and online design.

The combat doesn't have engaging sound, art and animations to me, it looks a bit limp to me, hits don't have much impact. It's more grounded and methodical per hit combat with less crazy gravity defying stunts and flashy visuals. I'm not bashing its my preferences. It's really unique and well made so I'll keep updated from here

View user profile

24 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 am

Birdman

Fair enough. There's definitely impact though. It's one of those games where watching it doesn't represent how it plays and feels.

Roy, it might be worth grabbing on discount at some point and it would be better to wait anyway as they seriously need to deal with these awful bugs.

View user profile

25 Re: Absolver on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:10 am

Birdman

One thing I don't like is how when you feint a move, you still switch to the stance as if you did the move. I wish that it left you in your stance so I could feint low kick then actually do one.

View user profile

26 Re: Absolver on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:04 am

So you can use feints to skip moves a bit like dodge offset from bayo.

@birdman are there any other moves to fill the low kick's function? I don't know diddly about Absolver.

View user profile

27 Re: Absolver on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:16 am

Birdman

When you feint, you still go into the stance of the attack you feinted.

There are other low attacks like sweeps, but this particular low kick is the Muay Thai one. I have two characters I'm trying to build. One is based on TKD.

View user profile

28 Re: Absolver on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:02 am

Birdman

Here's some more facts.

While you can stance change any time while locked on, or when using a move (each move starts in one stance and ends in another, some the same one) your stance can change by itself depending on the opponents position.

For example, when locked on, you need to hold block to keep facing the opponent. When they circle around you, you'll always face them. But if you don't, the camera will still track them, but your character won't face them. As the opponent moves around you, your stance will change.

Stance is relative to the camera's position. Your character will always attack away from the camera, and if you face toward the screen, that puts you in one of the back turned stances. It doesn't allow you to attack towards the screen. This is hard to explain.

Found a decent video of a TKD build. It's not 100% TKD more like 'every kick in the game build'. I'm building a TKD character now, but it's nothing like this. When I did ITF TKD, anything below the belt is forbidden and there are hand strikes too. Still this guy is really good though if you haven't played it it might be difficulty to tell what's going on.

View user profile

29 Re: Absolver on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:27 am

I like extremity extremist move sets in games it's cool to see punches or kicks only. Like a boxer character I like to see just those movements it's cool.

View user profile

30 Re: Absolver on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:01 am

Birdman

This probably won't mean much to you guys having not played it, but there was a patch recently that has improved some issues.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/473690/discussions/0/2765630416809899489/

Fast attacks were a bit too good, leading to players just making decks of all fast attacks. This was an issue for my original builds like TKD with no lows, and even my MT build which is a bit slower.

It's kinda sad when people automatically go for the strongest build they saw on YT and don't think for themselves. The reason I bought Absolver was because I saw how I could not only build based on two fighting styles I know, but also what I would actually do myself. The fast attack spam just goes through everything though. Good to see it penalized in this patch.

View user profile

31 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:28 am

Read a pretty sizable article on Absolver in the latest issue of Edge. Really interesting what their mentality was, but also how it already seems to conflict with what they're doing. One big thing they noted was that they wouldn't do balance-patches as they felt that the meta would be 'ever changing'. If one thing were to become overpowered others would look to find ways to counter it, and that counter would be the new meta.

But they apparently went back on this, which I do understand as it is no longer the mindset of players. I always recall Sagat from Street Fighter II, easily the most broken character (aside from Akuma). He was never nerfed, yet players found ways to deal with him. In this day and age they would just bitch and moan about it until it got nerfed. People can't deal with those types of things anymore it seems.

32 Re: Absolver on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 am

Birdman

I'm actually a little annoyed that I didn't truly get to deal with 'fast attack spam'. I never came across any opponents that had only fast attacks. I did fall to many the fast attack interruption but there were ways around it.

You have your special defensive options per style, and moves that avoid other move types but it seems no one bothered to learn these and just went for whatever everyone else was doing to win. They bitched so much it got changed.

The change isn't bad though. Fast attacks use more stamina so spam actually wears you out on someone's block apparently.

I haven't done any PvP lately as I'm trying to learn new moves for my build that suit it.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum