You are not connected. Please login or register

Okami

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Okami on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:13 am

Birdman

Now, this is an action adventure game, so I feel it belongs in this section (unless Roy wants to move it to Platinum and Clover but that's getting quite bloated) as it has all the elements of the genre along with the RPG-ish stuff which is super light. No more than any DMC game in terms of leveling up things.

There's a lot to say on the combat, but the main reason I made this topic is that I heard it was being released on the PS4.

View user profile

2 Re: Okami on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 am

Was about to make a note of this somewhere, but yeah still interested in this. If a PS4 release is happening as rumored I'll definetely check it out for sure. And yeah let's just leave this topic here, I'm still looking for ways to streamline the design of the forum.

That said how is the RPG elements and combat? Can you show some examples or tutorials?

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

3 Re: Okami on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 am

Yeh action adventure is the term for those type of games, action combat and the adventure is indicative of the various activities you will perform on your adventure(platforming, puzzles, quests).

View user profile

4 Re: Okami on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 am

Birdman

Here is the PS3 HD trailer. At some point you'll see a little combat and basically how the brush works.

In terms of upgrading, it's very light. Life, ink bottles and astral pouch. Weapons are powered up once by adding an item called Gold Dust. Pretty much standard action game powerups. MGR has way more upgrading than this.

Other RPG elements are NPCs, sidequests, and a few towns, shops, but not many. Some areas are quite open, but not 'open world' open. There's still quite a bit to explore and you'll be returning with new powers to access hidden or blocked areas.

There's a lot of dialogue and sadly you can't skip it on your first playthrough.

As for combat, you have all the standard stuff, like dodging, double jumping, and simply cancels into those. There are three weapon types, and you can equip them on first and secondary positions which causes them to act differently. Melee is pretty simple.

What makes the combat really stand out and super fun is the celestial brush techniques. By pressing R1 everything freezes (but has a time limit) and you draw the symbol for the technique you want to use. You can do this anytime no matter what's happening in battle. You can be attacking, dodging, anything.

There are lots of techniques and they each have various uses (and ink requirement so you obviously the stronger the tech the more ink it requires) and they can affect enemies in a variety of ways. There's a ton of stuff to say on this.

You can watch this exhibition video of all the brush techniques. Many can be used outside of battle to affect the environment, solve puzzles, or reach inaccessible areas. The video doesn't show every possible application, but it gives more than enough of an idea.

It's a very easy game, but that doesn't stop it from being my favorite game. The music, atmosphere, design, controls, just everything is great. They just give you too many ways to make it easy. You have infinity ink stones which are items you can find or buy that give you infinite ink temporarily, the astral pouch which you fill with fruit pickups, and once full it can revive you, and a magic shield called Godhood which can negate (depending on how strong the attack is) which builds when you rack up combo.

There's a combo count, but it's not juggling or anything like that. More like Killer is Dead where as long as you keep attacking and haven't been hit, your combo count stays up.

No upgrade is a decent challenge in certain parts. You'll only have 3 life units and 3 ink bottles meaning no spam of high level powers and a few hits will kill you later in the game. There are also the devil gate trials which are sort of Onimusha like Dark Realms where you can choose to leave or continue. The final one has some nasty combinations but still not that bad when you have max ink and can throw out whatever.

View user profile

5 Re: Okami on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 am

Did okami sell well enough to warrant a re-release? Glad it does but what of god hand or viewtiful Joe?

View user profile

6 Re: Okami on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 pm

Birdman

No idea. I never follow sales.

View user profile

7 Re: Okami on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Birdman

PS4, Xbox and PC boys. You are without excuse.

View user profile

8 Re: Okami on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Haha, wish GH would get a remaster.

View user profile

9 Re: Okami on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:14 am

Birdman

Without excuse.

View user profile

10 Re: Okami on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 am

Looks amazing, really going to have to pick that one up.

11 Re: Okami on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:05 am

Birdman

Yes, you WILL.

Im seriously hoping they add the option to skip dialogue and cutscenes. It's fine for first time players but for me it's horrible.

Some dialogue can be speed up but then some cant and you have to watch it crawl by, letter by letter. You can only skip in NG+.

View user profile

12 Re: Okami on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:48 am

It's odd how capcom are really pushing okami since it's on so many platforms now. Viewtiful joe doesn't even have a port at all which is just sad. I hope they give VJ and GH a chance at some point.

View user profile

13 Re: Okami on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:20 am

Gabriel Phelan Lucas wrote:It's odd how capcom are really pushing okami since it's on so many platforms now. Viewtiful joe doesn't even have a port at all which is just sad. I hope they give VJ and GH a chance at some point.
Honestly, there's a lot of things that might be the cause of this. Most are copyrights. It could be that Mikami or Kamiya have some share or copyrights or character-rights in those titles, meaning they'd have to be contacted. The games are old enough that some music used might not be allowed to be used if it was outsourced so it would have to be rerecorded or replaced. Other elements are coding, could be they are a disaster and hard to port.

Another hard and painful truth could be that the original files are just missing. Clover disbanned and Capcom doesn't have good relations with P* at all - so there's a solid chance that some VJ-data is in the P* office while other files are at Capcom.

OR they just don't see money in it. GH had a PSN re-release and even paired with its PS2 release sold less than a total of 80.000 copies. Let's be optimistic and assume a HD release or digital re-release on PSN-PS4 sells 10% of that (so 8.000 copies) that would mean that the game has about a budget of (8000x25)x0,75 (allowing for 25% profit) 150.000 (assuming a price tag of 25 bucks). That's not nearly enough to get that title ported over at a good quality, files collected, copyrights renewed etc let alone get a physical release out there. Financially it would be a disaster.

14 Re: Okami on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 am

Birdman

It's odd how capcom are really pushing okami since it's on so many platforms now. Viewtiful joe doesn't even have a port at all which is just sad. I hope they give VJ and GH a chance at some point.

Like RE4, it's just that damn good. Both RE4 and Okami have appeared on numerous platforms now and I'm guess sold decently every time.

Weird that the Switch isn't getting it.

View user profile

15 Re: Okami on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Weird that the Switch isn't getting it.

I'm really curious as to the whole Nintendo x Capcom relationship in general. Nintendo can't have been excited about them shitting on them with the abandoned Capcom Five or lack of support on both the Wii and Wii-U. Fact that all exclusivity deals outside of P.N.03 were ignored didn't help either (and that was only because that game didn't sell, otherwise I'd have had at least a PS2 port). I know the Wii and 3DS had Phoenix Wright, Layton and Monster Hunter but that's it really right?

Also I honestly believe (and I don't mind it) that we'll be seeing Resident Evil 4 ported every generation. It's just this timeless type of game and good for our newer generation of players to have easy acces to. I do wonder if they'll add new content one day (doubt it), the PS2 version had the passion to add a new campaign, costumes and weapons but all other versions did diddly-squat.

16 Re: Okami on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Birdman

Wii got Okami and Okamiden was a DS exclusive so it seems odd for them not to get this remaster too.

I took a quick look at the Switch board and they seem really mad about not getting it. Could just be crazy console fanboys who haven't been enlightened to the ultimate truth; that it's possible to play and be a fan of more than one console. I know, it's a lot to take in.

Also I honestly believe (and I don't mind it) that we'll be seeing Resident Evil 4 ported every generation.
And every it will be accompanied by numerous troll topics hating and claiming how 'overrated' it is or how 'dated' the controls are, yet are powerless to stop it. I love that.

View user profile

17 Re: Okami on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:58 am

Good okami and re4 get plenty of love, can't complain really you can already just emulate god hand and viewtiful joe on pc.

View user profile

18 Re: Okami on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:25 am

that it's possible to play and be a fan of more than one console. I know, it's a lot to take in.

I still don't know where this comes from. I can understand it from a pre-teen who has to depend on his parents for consoles but ... outside of that I really don't get it. A console costs less than the money I have left at the end of a month. Really looking forward to buying a Switch with Mario.

And every it will be accompanied by numerous troll topics hating and claiming how 'overrated' it is or how 'dated' the controls are, yet are powerless to stop it. I love that.
A fact many forget and deny, is that it's still talked about in general; I love that. People say that in thirty years people will still remember the Last of Us as the best game ever made, but you don't hear anyone about it anymore. The only games that are truly remembered are those that changed something, and were major.
Super Metroid, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Half Life, Quake, Mario, RESI4, DMC etc. They all did something for the medium at large. It is why I still believe that in thirty years time people will look back and try to emulate those games (or buy the gazilionth version of RESI4).

Still I wouldn't mind them hiring Mikami to bring a neat little new campaign to Resi4. That would be a thing of beauty that would never happen haha.

19 Re: Okami on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:25 am

Mikami recently said he is up to direct re8, I haven't checked that comment so he might be joking.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum