You are not connected. Please login or register

General Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 General Discussion on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Automata has a chapter select but your lvl is same so u r way overlvl n can not actually take enough damage to die against low lvl mobs n bosses(Adam desert boss does like 4damage) n deal 1hit kills with even regular pod fire which is your weakest attack. So no replay value, even tho they give u a debug mode u can use to dick around which is cool, but they've clearly took out most of the debug tools to use including a lvl slider.

Paid dlc has an apple(lowers your lvl by 10 each use, u get 10) locked behind its obscene final special coast arena, u fight a boss rush against reskinned mobs n bosses that r only things in game that r lvl130-40(your lvlcap is 99) who can insta kill u even on easy, n have stupid amounts of life to kill, so u have to use best chips n weapons to even deal damage(critical chips) turning it into a dps race.

when I found out about this I just dropped the game since I wanted to replay with my side quests intact, I replayed a bit until I realised how much grinding I would have to do for a single arena challenge to even beat it, more so is how I avoided all the quests so they where not missing post game since they can't be redone for some reason.

If u avoid all quests u won't be adequate lvl for main game, its short too, so u can run from the desert to Forrest to coast n be way under lvl by the Forrest parts, mobs don't even budge or take much damage at all if u only a few lvls below them

Also mob types r based on routes(A,B,C/D) not difficulty, so even if u replay it's got less mob types the earlier u start.

Let's just acknowledge that replay value is a core tenant of platinums philosophy, so they betrayed that with automata, think about that.jesus.

I'm well over automata. I deleted it from my PS4 n am going to sell it when I can, I got so pissed n sad I needed something to play that was legit good action game, so I fell in love with god hand again n binged mikekobs god hand lp, then I found this site n the rest is history :).

First half of vid discusses issues as a game, rest is gushing about mah story, vash is cool dood otherwise I'm glad he sees it's faults, a must avoid game for action fans.

Last edited by Royta/Raeng on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited Topic Title)

View user profile

2 Re: General Discussion on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:25 am

Birdman

I probably won't get into Automata due to it being too grindy.

In terms of mechanics it's actually pretty good. Too bad.

View user profile

3 Re: General Discussion on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:39 am

Yeh it has dmc style custom combos u can do some real cool stuff, but u can only really test them in debug room since u can spawn all mobs at whatever lvl u want plus debug tools to make them n yourself invincible.

Think about how it's only actually serviceable as a game due to said issues. A serviceable PLATINUM GAME, not them of all developers, they can't keep making ok games.

Yeh if u want a proper action game don't get it, it's rotten to its core for the sake of being called an rpg.

Platinum even said they up to do another taro game, which means another serviceable game as a game. That's not the platinum standard, maybe lately but didnt used to be.

They do have another game to come so it's not all lost, they did need strong sale so automata has done that, it's easy to see why it sold so well too, anime n thick thighs for 2b n a2, dem Kids love dat thiccness.

Team ninja I hope can make a proper action game again also, they haven't done much since doa n ninja gaiden razors edge. Platinum r the only guys consistently making pure action games to a quality standard, only guys driving the genre.

Indie teams r making them but they don't have the resources n skill required to make it to platinums standard.

View user profile

4 Re: General Discussion on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 pm

I never felt hard mode is unbalanced in action games since it's usually what I play them on, the mode above normal typically. I don't play hard god hand since normal has lvl3 which I consider hard n lvldie which is very hard/gene must die.

Automata wasn't hard it was more tedious due to poor design choices for sake of role playing in an otherwise standard platinum action game that follows bayo template except designed for casuals n rpg fans than action game fans. Mechanics can only really be used to the fullest in debug room since u can set enemy lvl n use debug tools to set ai commands.

View user profile

5 Re: General Discussion on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:34 am

Birdman

I wouldn't mind a fully upgraded very hard mode. You'd be super strong but it would be fair as ANYTHING will kill you.

Not sure if you can NG+ to VH though.

View user profile

6 Re: General Discussion on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:58 am

U can't ng+ unless u have apple to lower your lvl, otherwise u r same lvl u finished game at.

U get chapter select after getting either end C or D, mobs don't scale so u would be way over lvl for most of game, I beat game at lvl62, no mob in routeA can really hurt u, they die in 1 hit or so from even basic pod fire. That's the issue, u can only lower lvl if u have apple for beating final coast arena challenge otherwise u r op as u can kill in 1 hit no matter gear it's useless since your damage is so high u don't need anything else other than your current lvl which would be far beyond A/B mobs n bosses.

View user profile

7 Re: General Discussion on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 am

Birdman

I dont want to lower my level. I wanted to know if it were possible to NG+ into VH with everything I've obtained. It would actually be fun because I'd be able to deal high damage but they would still be able to kill me instantly.

View user profile

8 Re: General Discussion on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 am

Ok, u can switch difficultly on the fly.

Chapter select u get after getting ends C or D. So that's your ng+.

U keep all your stuff unless u delete your saves for end E.

Mobs don't scale, only flight shmup section mobs as well as animals scale to your lvl.

I suppose u would be making your own dmc heaven or hell mode haha.

View user profile

9 Re: General Discussion on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:50 pm

Birdman

I don't do Twitter. Anyone want to confirm this?

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/75667240

View user profile

10 Re: General Discussion on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:10 am

Automata has been selling exceedingly well, so yes. It's sold 1.5 mil and counting, great since PG can live on to potentially make great games again, that's why they do licenced games to pay the bills, good for taro also but shame it had to be automata and not one of their best games. Bayo has sold 170K on steam so that's a plus.

Even square was taken aback from the sales. Anime with tons of fan service tends to sell well, for the kids.

View user profile

11 Re: General Discussion on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:32 am

I have twitter and yeah he said that a few hours back. Pretty scary. That said if it sold 1.5 million that means it already outsold Vanquish's entire lifespan which is pretty sad and shows just how well RPG-action combination games sell. I wonder what that means for Platinum's future.

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

12 Re: General Discussion on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:06 am

Birdman

It's good that they're making money and I'd assume they'll use this success to make another game. I hope so anyway.

There's a lot of good things in Nier A. The mixture of HnS and bullet hell is great, and the movement is so fluid and beautiful. The last game I played with such smooth controls was Okami.

I'm really considering VH mode but it would still require massive grinding, and with OHKs on everything would not be a fun time. I like everything about the game outside of leveling up and gear crap. Same reason I quit Nioh (though I'm still waiting to see how the final DLC turns out).

View user profile

13 Re: General Discussion on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 am

It always does seem to hold it back, grinding is never fun in these types of situations. How is the 'walking' in Nier? Because that is holding me back most from getting it. Just walking from A to B through a desert.

14 Re: General Discussion on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:15 am

Birdman

What do you mean? Forced walking or are you asking about traversal in general?

I can't speak for the whole game, but you can run pretty fast, ride animals or use fast travel once unlocked. There was a ton of running back and forth at the point I was up to, over a pretty barren world, especially if you're doing sidequests.

One thing you need to have if you're going with open world, imo, is fun traversal. Overall, Infamous Second Son sucked. The same thing zone after zone, combat was basically average TPS, but travelling was actually really fun. That might be worth a topic. Traversal in open world games.

View user profile

15 Re: General Discussion on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:02 am

I can't speak for the whole game, but you can run pretty fast, ride animals or use fast travel once unlocked. There was a ton of running back and forth at the point I was up to, over a pretty barren world, especially if you're doing sidequests.
That's all I needed to hear. I don't mind traversal if it's fun as you noted, games like Witcher, Batman and Infamous 1 (only one I played) did it brilliantly. But this sounds like a no-go for me.

16 Re: General Discussion on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:14 pm

I've beaten automata a while ago so ask me about it, I made a 1st comment above which explains some issues. Really if you want a solid action game with some replay value then no don't touch it. It would rather be a mediocre action game for the sake of the role playing, anyway thanks for 2b booty for saving platinum I guess. Platinum said they up for another taro game but as much as a love them both I'd rather them not due to how broken automata is(taro doesn't understand action games despite only ever directing action games).

View user profile

17 Re: General Discussion on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:56 am

Birdman

But this sounds like a no-go for me.

Yeah it's pretty standard. You'll definitely use fast travel at every turn. Would have been cool if the mech suits were usable for travel but that would cause issues since they can fly.

(taro doesn't understand action games despite only ever directing action games).

None of his games were great combat-wise.

View user profile

18 Re: General Discussion on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 am

Cavia where not known for great games as games, but they tried making many genres(even an early cover shooter called operation winback) of varying quality which I respect and for what it's worth I have more respect for drakengard1-2 and niers gameplay than automata more so due to platinums games repertoire. PG can do so much better, taro is a bad influence if anything. Drakengard 3 even has needless leveling up when it's a linear chapter based action game(he must think anything with a level bar is an action rpg)

View user profile

19 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 am

Birdman

Just heard rumor of a Nier 3. Cant be bothered following it up. Hope Platinum isn't involved but they probably will be. No interest in another grindfest action RPG.

View user profile

20 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am

Considering the title 'saved Platinum games' I do consider this to be a predictable move. They'll need money to stay afloat to make other more risky games.

21 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:57 am

Square, platinum and taro have made it clear they are all interested in a sequel. I'm against this speaking as a fan of taro and PG, Nier never should have had a sequel in the first place, considering Nier itself is a canon sequel to drakengard 1 ending E but was it's own complete game and story(if you read Grimoire Nier that is for the full story), Automata is just unneeded. Automata actually only exists because the producer(Yosuke Saito) threatened to quit if he had to make another dragon quest game without producing something else.

But as much as a dislike the game as a game and story I'm glad PG have survived because of it, and I hope they can continue to make their own titles again eventually. I think they have an unannounced project still to reveal.

View user profile

22 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 am

Birdman

Do you think this success could cause them to abandon 'risky' games altogether?

View user profile

23 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am

I hope not, we'll have to see what they make in the coming years to tell, but they do licensed titles to pay the bills so they can make their own games, they have noted they are still hired guns so that's not changed. Kamiya is still there and so is the rest so I'd hope they wouldn't stop being PG, but I'd not be surprised sadly. They haven't made anything great since transformers and that's a tiny baby budget licence title heavily based in bayo's combat and even reuses animations. I'd like to think this success has given them some greatly needed funds, attention and confidence.

View user profile

24 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Platinum Games has a bit of the Nintendo mentality, in that they do a bit of 'sell out' in which they make mainstream stuff (MGR:R, Nier, Transformers, Korra etc) so that they can allow projects that will probably not make a huge profit (Bayo2, Star Fox Zero etc).

25 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:15 pm

That said I have to admit they do feel a bit...safe. Witch Time was cute the first time, but it is starting to feel a bit phoned in. Would love to see them reinvent the wheel again, really offer something unique like GH, VJ and Okami.

26 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Birdman

Witch time dodging probably needs a change. But how? TF did change it up a little with focus, like having more ways to trigger it outside of dodging.

View user profile

27 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Honestly I'd say just remove it, completely. And try a new mechanic or a new type of combat. At their core Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Nier, Nioh, God of War etc and more are pretty similar until you dive deep. But games like God Hand and Viewtiful Joe were really different. Like, by god, they are unique. I'm longing for that level of innovation again if you know what I mean.

28 Re: General Discussion on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Birdman

I can't think of many action games that have hit levels like GH and VJ. It's all either slomo or just getting out of the way.

Some like MGR, attack and dodge at the same time. Okami actually has that too though it's what I guess you could call a passive effect, where after obtaining the upgrade, every time you dodge any enemy you touch while doing so will take damage.

Have you heard of Kengo Zero? That has some interesting defensive techniques. I'll do a write up of it later and make a topic.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum