You are not connected. Please login or register

Devil May Cry: general discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Devil May Cry: general discussion on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:21 am

Credo is a great rival, he only boss I beat without items or exploits(sorry Dante shame on me) on dmd. I don't use items usually I just wanted super costumes.

Is dante a good boss? I can't tell, he so tough as Nero. He fun to fight, he even uses all his moves n styles. I like how he doesn't have much life, accurate.

Last edited by Royta/Raeng on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited Topic Title)

View user profile

2 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:59 am

Dante as a boss is more cinematic than anything else. Mechanics-wise he can be styled if you're up for it, but there are infinite combos up the ass to use against him. You can get him in loops pretty easily.

Granted I never really delved that much into DMC4 - the constant re-use of assets and bosses really sat badly with me. Same with turning the once brilliant combat that mixed style and efficiency into just one big combo-simulator didn't sit well with me either. The series peaked with both DMC1 and DMC3 imo.

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

3 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm playing dmc1 on DMD for the first time, beat phantom, he kicked my arse for a bit as i'm not too familiar with his moves. Pretty easy once i timed ifrit punches on his face, does massive damage, staggers and takes about 2 full charge punches to stun him. Very good introduction boss, he's no joke, has well telegraphed attacks and some neat tricks to beat him, like the fireball parry back down his gob.

View user profile

4 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Birdman

Nice. I need to replay this game. It was one of the first action games I ever played and the one that seriously got me hooked on the genre along with Onimusha.

View user profile

5 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:23 pm

I played tons of Onimusha 1/2 as a kid, never beat them but i got quite far in 2, about past the tubby umbrella boss lady, and a demon swordsman in a magma cave. They spooked me as a kid, general atmosphere is creepy and some of the demons are spooky. I got pretty far in 1 in 2013 when i decided to play some ps2 games, didn't beat it again haha.

Flock of birdface!

Gotta say dmc1 still looks great, the texture work, lighting and animations are very impressive to this day. Sound design is great too, has the best atmosphere, what with the creepy castle and ambient footsteps, good footstep sounds are super important to me, especially in spooky games due to needing immersion to be spooky. RE4 has some great footstep sounds too.

View user profile

6 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Birdman

You might like Haunting Ground too. Large castle to explore, echoing footsteps that sound great and actually mean something as sound can attract the enemy stalker at almost any time, and the gameplay is awesome. There's only music when the stalkers appear, otherwise it's that ambient music to dead silence so your footsteps are super loud.

Oni 1 is my fav but only the updated Xbox version. Played 2 and got 100% which was really fun. Took me quite a while to get all the items and storylines. Oni 2 has some locations that I just can't forget due to the atmosphere of them. One is that misty forest. If anyone ever mentions Oni 2 I instantly imagine running through it and zone out a bit lol.

View user profile

7 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:44 am

Haunting grounds cool but I don't tend to play those types of games, being defensless and all that, I watch stuff like, though I did play siren:blood curse but that has combat and sometimes stealth/defenceless gameplay. It's funny how capcom produced clocktower 3 and then haunting ground which is a successor to said series, but was also a version of re4? Same dog(hey it's that dog!) as re4, Huey right?

I didn't know about xbox oni1, I've seen a cheap copy, it's 360 compatible so I'll pick that up. Still want to get samurai western, mostly Italian copies for some reason.

Back to dmc1: I got all the way to Griffon final battle, love that boss, only fights 1-3. Griffon 2 on the boat with the shitty camera, boat obscuring the screen, stiff platforming and shitty red bird attached to Dante that lifts you up if it hits you once pisses me off, only boss so far I cheesed with holy water, still had to finish him off, stupid triple headed lightning turkey.

View user profile

8 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:23 am

Birdman

Haunting grounds cool but I don't tend to play those types of games, being defensless and all that
You aren't totally defenseless. Once you get Hewie and you know the mechanics, you have quite a few options though you will always be at a severe disadvantage but that's the point. Combat options are more to facilitate your escape.

Same dog(hey it's that dog!) as re4, Huey right?
It's not Hewie. That was something some fans just decided was fact. I think the wiki says it only resembles Hewie. I remember at some fan forum many years ago, a group of assholes wanted to argue this to death.

Back to dmc1: I got all the way to Griffon final battle, love that boss, only fights 1-3. Griffon 2 on the boat with the shitty camera, boat obscuring the screen, stiff platforming and shitty red bird attached to Dante that lifts you up if it hits you once pisses me off, only boss so far I cheesed with holy water, still had to finish him off, stupid triple headed lightning turkey.

What version are you playing?

View user profile

9 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:24 am

I'm playing DMC HD collection for Xbox 360. And I'm doing DMD on NG+ so I have all my stuff.

I like to think it's the same dog, they look close enough and it's a funny thought that the haunting ground castle is maybe somewhere adjacent to Salazar's castle(no clue, is haunting ground in Europe?). It wouldn't be out of place given the other references re4 has. Although 'that dog' and the wolves have similar designs too. Anyway, just an aside.

View user profile

10 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 am

Birdman

It still isn't the same dog. They aren't even the same color.

RE4 dog.

Hewie.

RE4 is brown. Hewie is white. I made sure to get in game pics because in CG or other art of Hewie he is so white he's almost emitting light.

Speaking of color, I love the schemes in both games. The greys and browns evoke feelings of rainy days for me which is something I really like. Chaos Legion is quite grey and brown too.

Ok, sorry for derailing your topic. Maybe I should just make and HG one but I have nothing to say about it at present. I am routing a new speedrun on and off though.

As for DMC, did the HD collections suffer from the same version changes as the PS2 versions? The PAL version can't be 50hz anymore, but are the regions differences like the JP version being easier than NA still there?

View user profile

11 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:20 am

As for DMC, did the HD collections suffer from the same version changes as the PS2 versions? The PAL version can't be 50hz anymore, but are the regions differences like the JP version being easier than NA still there?

I'll RNR the rest later, but to answer this one the HD collection didn't have version problems, it was fully 60fps in the PAL region. It used the USA releases from what I know. There is a weird bug however, as the grapple move from the Katalina in DMC3:SE doesn't work anymore, it doesn't have a hitbox. This was never patched.

12 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:34 am

Birdman

I though the HD version doesnt have SE?

View user profile

13 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:45 am

No need for sorry, you've mentioned you like HG a lot, I'd like to hear your thoughts for sure, I've not looked into it much but I'm familiar with the general gameplay. And that dog might just be dirty, given the circumstances, the local gonados and their village all look like arse smear.

Not sure about HD collection changes beyond 60fps, I've not played the ps2 games except 1 as a kid. I'm aware that 3 has normal being JP normal. They seem like faithful ports, I've not had any issues at all, no notable bugs. I've read that there are some graphical errors for PS3 which has whole effects missing whereas 360 seems fine for most part(mundus' fireball attack is noted to be invisible). So I'd suggest getting the 360 version, also the psn version is said to have more issues.

EDIT: SE is the version of 3 that's included.
Kalina Ann grapple bug I saw mentioned, that's so odd, I don't use it but that sucks.

View user profile

14 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Yeah the HD collection has SE. Don't know where that rumor came from, because I hear that a lot.

15 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Birdman

It was either that or they still didn't include turbo mode.

View user profile

16 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:10 pm

It also has Turbo mode ;p Again, I have no clue where the rumor started. I had the HD collection and later played DA and SE regularly, the HD Collection has the USA NTSC DMC3:SE in it at 60fps, only notable but being the Katalina Gunslinger Grapple move not working.

17 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:02 am

Beat griffon 3, great boss, I really like how he gets grounded for most of it and somehow has tons more life and new moves. He's like a shmup boss with his ranged patterns.

Nightmare 1 also beaten, simple fight and didn't know until that matosis vid that nightmare's cores get destroyed depending on amounts of hits received not damage, so charged ifrit punches are super good.

I've yet to beat nelo 3, only the summon swords give me trouble, so many variations, very trial on error. The thing that bugs me is that sometimes he will spam summon swords to no end, like after every 1-2 moves, but sometimes I'll get him to half life while he spams basic fireballs for some reason, weird ai. I'm aware if you go close to him while he summon swords he'll exit them early, about after one sword pattern. I'll have to stun lock him with ifrit charge punches as they can break his guard.

View user profile

18 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 am

Using helmet breaker with double jump really screws his AI up, and a DT grenade launcher wrecks him hard during his ranged phases. But yeah he can be a big issue!

19 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Birdman

I barely remember all the details of this boss, but I know there's a way to screw with the AI and make him use fireballs. Had something to do with jumping a certain distance away from him. This game has tons of tech like that.

View user profile

20 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:55 pm

DMC1 is a game that shows more and more depth with each playthrough, it's stupid. I never managed to get too deep into it though. I always liked 3 the most, which I really sank my hours in. 1 had too many faults and too little combat variety for me to really fall in love with it. But I can still respect just what an impact it must have had (and still has).

21 Re: Devil May Cry: general discussion on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:34 am

Birdman

Do you plan to go back to DMC? I recommend it. I need to get back into it at some point. There are quite a few things discovered since I quit playing it that I want to try.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum