You are not connected. Please login or register

Darksiders?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Darksiders? on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Birdman

Never looked into these until I saw some news about Darksiders 3 and it looks cool. The first two games dont look good to me at all though. Are they any good?

View user profile

2 Re: Darksiders? on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 am

1st one is solid but nothing great, it's Zelda dungeons with puzzles meets GoW-esque combat, I beat it in 2016.

2 is an unfinished mess that gets worse the more you play due to THQ going bankrupt at the time. It tries too many things and fails at all of them because of it. It's open world, has Zelda dungeons with puzzles, now has parkour, combat is surprisingly solid and based on bayo this time complete with pause/dial combos and 3 x dodge(no dodge offset). And what destroys all of the combats potential is random loot RPG bilge, yay.

None of these things are great but it gives a decent shot at all of them, but it's lack of focus is its undoing. Darksiders 1 worked well because it was just simple puzzles and simple combat, nothing innovative just a very solid title.

I gave up at the second open world area, some undead skeleton kingdom, games a mess.

View user profile

3 Re: Darksiders? on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:26 am

Birdman

Darksiders 3 is a new developer or so I hear. Must be why it looked decent to me while the others looked average.

Also saw they were re-released on PS4? Which are the better versions?

Edit: Thanks for the video. Honestly looks like a low budget DMC3 mixed with Castlevania Curse of Darkness. I'm willing to give it a try. Don't agree with the guy's complaint over the skeleton who moves dashes in with a sword attack. What the hell? It's slow af. Do people really need traffic light signals to play action games these days?

View user profile

4 Re: Darksiders? on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:42 am

Apparently it will be the free game sometime this week in PSNPLUS, Darksiders 2 that is. Darksiders 1 is one I played a lot and to be honest, it's pretty cool. It is basically Zelda with a more complex combat system, but one that obviously wasn't thought through by experts.

Example, block has an instant reaction. So if you press it, you block, no matter what you're doing. But if you let go, there is no animation, you just stop blocking in that frame the button held is no longer being registered. This sounds very casual friendly but it actually allows for the absolute breaking of the game. I'm not lying that you can for instance do your regular attack chain's first hit, wait until the hit connects, tap block, attack again, to basically attack at the speed of sound. Bosses that have multiple phases can be killed in one phase by mashing this 'exploit'. Same goes with jump canceling with certain weapons, just breaks it into pieces. They really didn't test that at all, just put mechanics in and never thought people who liked things like DMC would even attempt it it seems.

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

5 Re: Darksiders? on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:52 am

Birdman

Both games are on Christmas sale here on PS4. Any idea how the PS4 versions are?

View user profile

6 Re: Darksiders? on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 am

@Birdman wrote:Both games are on Christmas sale here on PS4. Any idea how the PS4 versions are?

The superior versions by far, have all the DLC and patches, improvements and graphical enhancements.

Change Log for Darksiders 1:

• Support for up to 4k video output resolution
  • Doubled all the texture resolutions
  • Re-rendered all cutscenes in high quality
  • Rendering improvements and rework
  • Better shadow rendering quality
  • Post processing effects
  • Optimized framerate

Change Log for Darksiders 2:

• Darksiders II with All DLCs included and integrated into the game, offering a total playtime of more than 30 hours
  • Improved Graphic Render Engine for higher visual quality especially in terms of lighting and shadows
  • Improved and reworked level, character and environment graphics
  • Running in native 1080p resolution
  • Reworked and tuned game balancing and loot distribution

7 Re: Darksiders? on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 am

Birdman

Hmm. Sounds good. They aren't high priority, but it's highly likely I'll grab them at some point before Christmas. I recently became super interested in The Sexy Brutale so I'm getting that tomorrow. It's very similar to a few other games I absolutely love. Didn't even know what it was like until I finally looked up a video about 30 mins ago.

View user profile

8 Re: Darksiders? on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:50 am

Birdman

Borrowed the first game. Will give it a go tonight.

View user profile

9 Re: Darksiders? on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:08 am

Let me know what you think :)

10 Re: Darksiders? on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:07 am

Birdman

I'm up too...I dont actually know. I've just been running through each area not really paying attention.

So far, I have to say it's the most average action game I've played. So far not a single aspect stands out. Not a single original bone in its body.

The combat is pretty boring. I bought some more moves but they're so nondescript that I all I could to do describe them would be to say 'swings the sword'.

That guard cancel thing you told me about is pretty useful. You can do the same thing in Genji on PS2 though the mechanics are different.

Not sure if I'll play it all the way through. It feels like a chore, and the music and setting is boring.

I still experiment though. The last hit on the basic sword string bounces the enemy and you can jump and air combo, or use the launch move to hit them higher. Basic stuff that can most likely be expanded upon with more upgrades but I'm finding it hard to care.

Still looking forward to Darsiders 3 though. From the videos it looks far more polished and fluid than the first game. New dev too.

View user profile

11 Re: Darksiders? on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Yeah like I said, it wasn't all that amazing, still pretty fun. It gets better combat wise when you get the two other melee weapons, but frankly, if the game doesn't pull you in now it never will. The second is more of the same but added a loot system to it as well for whatever reason.

12 Re: Darksiders? on Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:29 pm

Jareson

D-Rank
Darksiders 1 felt like it paid off near the end with the amount of cool stuff they end up giving war, the final boss being pretty fun, and that ending cutscene.

Darksiders 2 I never did the DLC, but I really enjoyed the combat, so despite any flaws it had as a game, I enjoyed it just because I could have a lot of fun in the combat.

Darksiders 3 looks promising and based on the conversations I had with a THQ Nordic dev, there is a lot of heart being pumped into it. Sort of like how Titan Quest has become a sort of passion project/revival for them, Darksiders and Red Faction will be as well. Red Faction will be their next big thing after Darksiders, but they want to keep as much focus in Darksiders right now as they can.

View user profile

13 Re: Darksiders? on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Birdman

Played a little more and feel no will to continue. I won't return it immediately, but will hold onto it for another week just in-case. My friend said I can borrow it until I finish it anyway, but I don't think I will.

View user profile

14 Re: Darksiders? on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Fair enough, i don't think i'll ever play my copy again. You'll like the combat in 2 much more but the game is a mess due to poor design decisions regarding combat namely and tons of others. I think it was being made and released why THQ was crumbling.

View user profile

15 Re: Darksiders? on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Birdman

Air combat seems tacked on, like they were just trying to copy DMC or something. When you launch, and rise with the enemy, it's barely above the ground. Even small enemies can still hit you, and you don't even rise above larger ones who will just swat you out of the air with ease.

Feels like the focus is ground combat and crowd control. The scythe just became available and claims to deal with crowds better so I might grab that.

Overall, so far it's not a bad game at all. Just, so average in every possible way. I'll still give 2 a try. Actually, I will finish 1, just to be fair on it and see everything it has to offer.

View user profile

16 Re: Darksiders? on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:03 am

Birdman

Just got the throwing star thing. Usable in combos to keep an enemy in the air a little longer.

Some of the puzzles so far are cool. Like this one where there's a red crystal wall, an inert bomb, and a live on high on the wall. You need to grab inert bombs and make a line from the active one to the wall, then detonate the live on with the boomerang, causing a chain explosion.

View user profile

17 Re: Darksiders? on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:19 am

The game sort of starts to fall apart when you get to the underworld skeleton kingdom(or some shit). It's the second open world area you enter.

View user profile

18 Re: Darksiders? on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 am

AKheon

D-Rank
For some reason I dislike Darksiders. There's just some deep-seated incompatibility with me and what these games are trying to do. I finished the first game while gritting my teeth. The second game bugged out at one point, and I was happy it happened because it was a good excuse to start playing something else and never look back. I do appreciate how broken both of the games are, though.

View user profile

19 Re: Darksiders? on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:45 am

@AKheon wrote:For some reason I dislike Darksiders. There's just some deep-seated incompatibility with me and what these games are trying to do. I finished the first game while gritting my teeth. The second game bugged out at one point, and I was happy it happened because it was a good excuse to start playing something else and never look back. I do appreciate how broken both of the games are, though.

For me it's the art-style, Todd's style just never sat right with me. As an artist I can appreciate it and how the entire game just has this singular style...but I just don't like the style haha.

20 Re: Darksiders? on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Birdman

Not touching this again.

Found out how to stay in the air longer and crazy stuff with guard cancel but it's just so boring. As I've said, the game offers nothing unique and badly tries to copy rhe good shit that came before it.

Why am I forcing the game to do DMC combos? I can just play DMC3 instead of using a glitch to try and make the game into something else.

View user profile

21 Re: Darksiders? on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:33 pm

Which one, 1 or 2?

View user profile

22 Re: Darksiders? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:04 am

Birdman

1. And Im not going to bother with 2.

View user profile

23 Re: Darksiders? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 am

Your dissing the combat but there also part dungeon puzzlers, so what of those?

View user profile

24 Re: Darksiders? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 am

Birdman

Some of the puzzles were ok but I don't care for them. Don't really like the world and atmosphere.

View user profile

25 Re: Darksiders? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:14 am

Fair enough, can't say I recall the world being particularly noteworthy and I beat the whole of 1. Can't say your missing much.

2 tries too many things and fails at just about all of them due to that distinct lack of focus(and THQ bankruptcy around the time so it's doubled rushed). The combat is a surprise improvement over the first but it's all so half baked. If they focused solely on the combat they could have made something pretty neat, it's got some killer animations too.

View user profile

26 Re: Darksiders? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:30 am

Birdman

The problem is they've done nothing to make it stand out. It really seems like they looked at all the greats and said, "Oooh we'll take that, and that, oh and that looks cool". Then did all those concepts incredibly half-assed to the point that it seems intentional.

That said, I do recognize it as a not bad. It's playable, and the combat isn't horrible, just as I said above, not even trying to be anything but a poor amalgam of better stuff.

Darksiders 2 looks way smoother from what I've seen, but I'm put off by the RPG elements. How heavy are they? I might be convinced to rent it if they aren't too pervasive.

View user profile

27 Re: Darksiders? on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:12 am

@Birdman wrote:Not touching this again.

Found out how to stay in the air longer and crazy stuff with guard cancel but it's just so boring. As I've said, the game offers nothing unique and badly tries to copy rhe good shit that came before it.

Why am I forcing the game to do DMC combos? I can just play DMC3 instead of using a glitch to try and make the game into something else.

This was basically my feeling, the game allowed pretty open combat but it really wasn't made with it in mind..the puzzles and dungeons were okay but nothing too special. I feel it was pretty popular because it mixed it together, but also because it was on PC which lacked DMC and Zelda and this had both styles of those games. Giving them a flavor of what's to come.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum