You are not connected. Please login or register

Movies: what movies have you been watching?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Movies: what movies have you been watching? on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm

It seemed like we needed a movie topic. :p

I just saw Thor: Ragnarok in theaters yesterday and it was colorful, hilarious, joyful, epic, and ridiculous. I can't recommend it enough, and in my own personal canon of superhero movies I would place it just behind The Incredibles. It's amazing how confident and unique it is compared to Marvel's other output. Also, Valkyrie is my new idol.

Oh I still have to see this film, I did get hit by a bit of....Marvel fatigue haha. But this also isn't helped that I don't really know the source material (I do have nearly 3 book cases of DC though). I did hear Thor: Rag was almost a comedy, is that true? That sounds pretty interesting.

Anyone seen Justice League yet? (to stay in the spirit of things).
I liked it, it was stupid fun, but I found the characters to be well cast. As a long time DC fan they really, with exception of the Barry (for some reason they named him Barry, but gave him the personality of Wally), seem to nail those parts. The plot and CGI emphasis weren't that great, but I had a good time regardless. And I loved the action scenes and just general hinting towards the Fourth World from Kirby.

How is the Incredibles? I still have to watch that... Pretty shameful that an animation art-director hasn't seen it yet, but I never got around to it.

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

Jareson

D-Rank
I rewatched both of The Raid movies recently and boy those movies never get old. Pure intense martial arts action that is just such a high calibur it isn't even funny.

I watched "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" yesterday, which was about Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki during the production of The Wind Rises. Really really touching movie, that man is just precious in his own way and I appreciate everything that team has worked on.

Going to see Thor tomorrow so I'm excited about that. Besides that, I saw Lego Ninjago a few weeks ago and just like all the recent Lego movies, funny as hell and a great time.

Don't really have any other movies I'm interested in seeing, though I have been intending to watch through Kubrik's catalog at some point for some surreal inspiration for one of my writings.

View user profile

Birdman

Man that final fight scene in The Raid 1 is insane. Never seen anything like it.

Just finished watching The Foreigner, a recent Jackie Chan movie. It's not his usual comedy fare though. It's super serious and brutal. The fights are more realistic yet still retain some aspects of his crazy stunts, just toned down.

I watch TV series more than movies. Just finished Marvel's The Defenders. I don't get it though. All the characters know and referenced the alien invasion in one of the Avengers movies, and live in a world with all kinds of super powers, and even have them themselves, yet they call bullshit and shut down when Iron Fist claims he controls qi and that dragons are real? Really? That's pretty tame compared to what is already a daily reality.

Also, are they not allowed to mention other Marvel heroes on TV? So far I've heard, over the course of the separate shows like Daredevil, refer to a magic hammer, giant green guy, metal suit etc. Why can't they just say the names?

Agents of Shield season 5 just started and I watched the first ep which was a double one.

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Jareson

D-Rank
Oh my god that final fight against Mad Dog is the first time I ever saw a fight scene and said, "Yo, this is a boss fight, this is how a boss should fight." The fight scenes in the second one were just as insanely intense and I just love the entire concept of "Don't give Rama a Knife", so they waited until like the last of the 3 fights and give him a knife and it is the most satisfying moment.

I need to watch some more martial arts movies. I've been desiring more inspiration for certain things and I feel like games just aren't doing right now, especially western games. Though the indie market for action games has some nice surprises on steam, they are just too and far in between, so I figure that maybe action movies may have something. Besides, its been months since I've watched Kung Pow:Enter the Fist, I think it can be thrown into the mix haha.

View user profile
I remember watching the Raid for the first time expecting a slow SWAT film, then the hallway scene happened and I had no idea what was going on except that I love the living hell out of it. The sequel was good too, was especially surprised by how much I liked the story - which I didn't really care for in the first game.

About the Marvel stuff, they aren't allowed to namedrop them no; technically they can but it costs a LOT of money. Same reason why the Arrowverse keeps saying "dark knight" and "that creepy guy my cousin (superman) hangs out with" instead of just "Batman". The rights are too expensive.

You watch Punisher yet? By golly that was one hell of a ride. Great show.

The Raid is game Roy? If only. I suppose something like sleeping dogs will suffice.

View user profile
Wh00ps haha!

Birdman

WTF?

View user profile
Yeah I saw that, pretty cool that they are doing Elseworlds too (google it). I have probably nearly 3.000 bucks worth of Batman comics in my house, at least in terms of how much I spent on the fuckers haha, so suffice to say I'm looking forward to this.

YO AFRO SAMURAI ARTIST, JOJO INTRO ANIMATORS AND THE JOJO OST GUY, IM IN.

View user profile

Birdman

Fucking A boi.

I'm not a huge fan of that 3d-ish animation it still looks great and it's Batman. How do you say no to that?

View user profile
Hope it doesn't have a choppy frame rate, doesn't do CG any justice.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum