You are not connected. Please login or register

Breakdown

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Breakdown on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:38 am

A 2004 Xbox exclusive first person melee action game. Also 360 compatible. I've known about this for a bit but don't know much, I'd like to know about the combat, looks pretty dope.

View user profile

2 Re: Breakdown on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Birdman

I have this but never finished. Will post what I remember when I get home.

View user profile

3 Re: Breakdown on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:04 am

It looks super neat and innovative with its melee combat, stuff like mirrors edge, xenoclash and condemned 2 would later try 1st person brawling. I can't tell if the game is a tad jank with its controls and combat or if it's the player, one of those games. I'll have to look at a guide/tutorial, see if it's got some hidden tech to it.

Found a movelist:https://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox/583052-breakdown/faqs/30601.

View user profile

4 Re: Breakdown on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:32 am

View user profile

5 Re: Breakdown on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:35 am

Birdman

I didn't get into it too much. I know the dodging is weird because the guy does a full backflip for a backward dodge, and also to the left or right for side dodges. It actually spins the camera and can be disorientating. I remember rarely using them, opting to just move to the side instead. Some guy came at me with a flying kick and just simply moved of his center line.

View user profile

6 Re: Breakdown on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:46 am

Yeh the dodges look odd, i think it would be better if you had a sidestep instead, so you can see what's happening and it'd be faster, maybe a slipping move like god hand. Seems odd they wouldn't just have that instead of a cumbersome roll or backflip.

Can you cancel moves? It seems to have a lot of animation priority, but not in a way that seems balanced for group encounters, I'd add cancels.

Any crowd control moves? It's been noted to lack these by I've not seen enough to know.

View user profile

7 Re: Breakdown on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:18 am

A guide: https://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox/583052-breakdown/faqs/30015

I'll have to find some high level play, I'd love to see a sick Kung fu vid with all those moves. No vid I've found yet showing off the move set, the game has the massive mistake of not detailing your whole movelist in the skills menu.

View user profile

8 Re: Breakdown on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:59 am

Expert mode walkthroughs:

This ones from 2017, glad there's love for Breakdown.

View user profile

9 Re: Breakdown on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:59 am

I remember reading about this in GameQuest magazine at the time and being really interested, for me it felt like the first game that would really 'bring us to the future' where we become the game, fully immersed. Obviously I never heard about it again, the xbox wasn't that popular in Europe until the 360 hit. I'll look into getting it one day, looks interesting that's for sure!

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

10 Re: Breakdown on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm noticing from the bottom playlist I posted that the game is really out of focus with its genres. It's an unbroken first person perspective game with a sweet of melee moves, janky poopy shooting and dodgey platforming. It seems to juggle all of these game types with lacking emphasis on any one of them, and not the set of mechanics that are actually unique and fairly well designed, that being the melee combat.

It's got way too much awful auto aim dependant shooting that's clearly made by a Japanese team with no experience and little understanding of fps design. From what I know Japanese gamers at the time(likely still now to a degree) didn't seem to be acclimated to manual aiming as they weren't used to controlling the camera in games since most of them had little to no need for camera control. So I think that's why the aiming is so lock on centric, to help Japanese players, that and just poor design.

Level design looks garbage, lots of bland identical hallways or needlessly open spaces. The core melee mechanics are where the game shines but it's very reluctant to focus on it, as so many sections force you into shootouts, which are awful, or platforming, which is similarly awful to the shooting. It should have focused on and refined the melee than the mediocre shooting/platforming/immersion sim aspects.

It's an early example of what Mirrors edge, Condemned 2, Chronicles of Riddick and Xenoclash would do in terms of first person melee combat with a physical character model(like your controlling a character in 1st person that moves like it's 3rd person, if ya know what I mean?) to control rather than the usual floating hands with guns that first person games go for.

That said I look forward to playing this, I've seen a copy for cheap. My 360 can't play Xbox games for some reason so I'll have to play it on my dads.

View user profile

11 Re: Breakdown on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:22 am

Birdman

I know you get an ability that lets you block bullets and I think you can run, or at least move while blocking.

It seems you can't target an enemy's head at all. I'm not sure if this is incompetence on the devs part, or an actual design choice to stop you from killing them quickly. That said I'm not 100% that you can't, just that I couldn't figure it out at the time.

View user profile

12 Re: Breakdown on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 am

You can block bullets as well as move and block, don't know if you can run. The aiming looks like you can't manually aim like any other fps so you're forced to use the dopey lock on, it's inaccurate too, would be better if it had a soft lock on like timesplitters and metroid prime whilst also having a manual aim like them also.

The more I watch the more I see how rough this game is, it's trying to be too many things. It's should remove all the shooting and focus on melee, I wouldn't mind the shooting if it was good or even serviceable but it's abysmal and it seems to have more shooting than anything else. That and running through endless grey hallways. Early walking sim add that to the genre mash up this game is.

View user profile

13 Re: Breakdown on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:39 am

I think this game took the immersion factor too seriously.

View user profile

14 Re: Breakdown on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Eh, it is pretty cool that it exists. I'd rather they went over the top like this (I mean dodging in first person is really badass). Makes it unique to say the least!

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

15 Re: Breakdown on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:27 pm

I get the sense that since it's an Xbox game it was trying to appeal to the western market with the whole gritty military fps against doodbro aliens(who look suspiciously like the locust from gears of war mashed with the strogg from quake 4) and also appease Japanese players with lock on aiming for shooting/melee. Just having to pick every item up and wait for the the guy to stop fiddling, munching and gawking at it would get needlessly tedious, immersion over gameplay i guess, gets a free pass from me since it was novel.

The melee is super novel, especially such an early example of 1st person melee combat, clearly experimenting before such things where figured out. i mean its the reason i put it into the action section, i'm gonna have fun seeing all the moves. I've watched 2 or so full playthroughs and I haven't even seen half the movelist! like I've read it has counters from blocking and shit! dragon kicks, KUNG FU SON!! KUNG FU!!

Funny as those 1st person melee/platforming games are usually western made. Reminds me of how Operation Winback(N64, 1997) was a very early cover shooter made by a Japanese team(Cavia), a genre mass produced ad nauseam by western devs.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum