You are not connected. Please login or register

Alan Wake

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Alan Wake on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 am

Anyone here ever play this game? It had quite some interesting combat going on. I'm at work now but suddenly thought "hey, we didn't discuss that game yet". Thoughts?

View user profile http://forum.stingermagazine.com

2 Re: Alan Wake on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:37 am

I've got it, played it maybe 3 times now, might as well play this today since you mention it. Play the dlc also, it changes the combat up, adds a bunch more guns and enemies and has a bunch of wave survives on maps.

Combat is cool, it's all based around damaging enemies with light, you aim the flashlight at foes to drain their shields and stun them, once that's broken you can kill them with guns. Pointing the torch at mobs without aiming drains their shields a bit but aiming drains much faster and stuns them when first aimed at them, slows them down too but large mobs can charge through that. Flashlight has to recharge when aiming but you can find and use batteries to fill it up if you need to.
You have a dodge to avoid attacks, game goes into slomo for a successful dodge. A sprint as well which can run out leaving you to move a bit slower.

Weapons you can carry a pistol and a large gun(rifle or shotguns)as well, and a flare gun, flash bang and flares. Flares are used to create a safe area where goons can't enter, you can drop it or hold it up and move, super handy if your going to die and need some space, mobs back away slowly from it so you can force them to move away when holding it. Flashbangs are grenades, do great damage and can insta kill most mobs and drain their shields instantly. Flare is a grenade launcher pretty much, shoots a big red flare that does a big aoe splash, I forget to use it but it's super good for crowd control, and bosses with high shields. You can mash reload to make the guns reload each shot faster.

Enemy types are decent but I'd like more grunt types(dlc fixes this), theres about 3 types:
*Skinny guys, very fast and love to flank you but are weak, about 2 pistol shots to kill.
*Regular who can throw weapons re4 style, 4 pistol shots.
*Big guys who are slow but hit hard and can charge through your flashlight, not sure how many shots. The weaker the type the less shield it has, they are all stunned by shots without shields but can only be pushed back with shields.
*mini boss versions of the skinny guys who can dash around with immunity so you can't hurt them until they stop.
*murder of crows are enemies too, and possessed objects can become alive and throw themselves at you, along with tractor bosses. These types can only be harmed by light, once you drain their shield they die. I think the tractor has an orange colour shield that can regenerate if not drained quickly enough.

View user profile

3 Re: Alan Wake on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:57 am

Birdman

I haven't played too much, but it seems similar to Deadly Premonition, and maybe a bit of Twin Peaks.

The light mechanic is cool, like Gabriel said, flares can create a pool of light that enemies can't enter, but as I recall there are also things like street lights you can use. Possible car headlights too.

View user profile

4 Re: Alan Wake on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:20 am

Yeh street lamps function as safe areas that heel you. You can find and turn on construction lights to drain enemy shields but they have to be turned on if they run out. Also large lights you can use at set points too, these ones kill enemies instantly if aimed at them, but can drain same as if you aim with the flashlight.

I just beat it on nightmare(hardest mode). Enemies take a few more shots and shields take longer to drain, they deal more damage too. Wasn't too hard, you get plenty of ammo, flares are a life saver for breathing space and let you regain some life, great for creating distance and grouping and blocking mobs.

To clarify,by the dlc I mean the separate expansion American Nightmare, has a bunch of different guns, enemies and changes some mechanics. The other 2 dlc continue where the main game ends.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum